14 October 2011

Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award 2012

When I was trying to call up the list of nominees for the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (ALMA) for 2012, I came across this picture:

Which if you think about it is pretty much how you'd like to imagine the creator of Pippi Longstocking.

And here's Pippi as imagined by the wonderful Lauren Child.

There's a great write-up on Lindgren here.

But on to the prize - here's what the website has to say:
The Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award (ALMA) is the world's largest prize for children's and young adult literature. The award, which amounts to SEK 5 million, is awarded annually to a single recipient or to several. Authors, illustrators, oral storytellers and those active in reading promotion may be rewarded. The award is designed to promote interest in children's and young adult literature, and in children's rights, globally.  
Lots of exciting names on the nominees list (Canada is well-represented by writers Jean Little, Brian Doyle and Michel Noël), but I was particularly pleased to see Meg Rosoff's name.  I'm a great admirer of Rosoff's work, but my particular favourite amongst her novels is What I Was.  You can read my review online at Monsters & Critics. 

No comments: